Thursday, August 16, 2007

Suzanne's Angels - Women on the road for Women on the street

This group was created in response to a friend asking "What charity are you riding for?" I was inspired.

I'm always a bit leery of "charities." I never know exactly where my money's going unless I give it directly to the person in need. So I often give food or a few bucks to homeless people.

I believe in acting locally, whether it be buying from local farmers, supporting local businesses or helping your neighbor.

Suzanne is a homeless woman I've become friends with in Venice. She lives in her truck with her four adopted cats.

Although she's turned her truck into a funky cabin and lives her homelessness as art, with as much dignity as is humanly possible, it's a constant struggle. She sleeps with one eye open and sometimes feeds her cats better than she feeds herself.

I'm fortunate to be able to choose homelessness for a month to pursue my passion of riding motorbikes. I'll be riding in solitude from L.A. to Inuvik in the Northwest Territories, toward the midnight sun in the wind and the rain, camping under the northern lights, sleeping on a gravel bed with a fleece sweater for a pillow. For me, the idea of homelessness for a month is bliss. But I have a home to come back to - a safe place with a warm bed and a cozy duvet and a supportive partner and a kitchen and a shower - things I need to leave occasionally in order not to take them too much for granted. If all goes well, I'll be logging approximately 20,000 kilometres. (Approximately 14,000 miles.)

My goal is to have $1 per kilometre/mile pledged for Suzanne by the time I return to L.A. I'm one fifth of the way there already.

I leave this Sunday, August 19. I'll be posting regular blogs and videos from my helmet cam along the way both here and on www.firehorserider.com. First stop, Suzanne's truck in Santa Cruz! Stay tuned, and join Suzanne's Angels! (You don't have to be a biker to be an Angel!)

You (or a group of you) can leave a pledge of a penny per km/mile (or more or less) in the comments section of this blog. or on the wall of the group "Suzanne's Angels" on Facebook. Or email me directly at moira @firehorserider.com

Peace.

No comments: